What Is Drayage and Why Is It Important?
Drayage refers to the process of transportation of goods over short distances. Usually, it is a part of a longer overall move, like moving a container from an ocean port to a warehouse, rail ramp, or any other destination.
So why is drayage so important? Drayage services are necessary and important because of the limited space at many ocean ports. As a result, tucks cannot drive up to the docks to load or unload. So that is where drayage comes in. With the help of drayage services, carriers can transport freight and cargo from one mode of intermodal shipping to another. Without drayage, it would be impossible to transport goods between intermodal terminals or ports.
Here are the classifications for drayage services defined by the Intermodal Association of North America (IANA):
- Inter-carrier drayage. It is the transportation of goods between different carriers. For example, it can be the transportation from a trucking terminal to a rail station.
- Expedited drayage. It is the process of moving and shipping cargo with very time-sensitive delivery needs. The purpose of expedited drayage is to transport goods as quickly as possible.
- Shuttle drayage. It is the process of moving an intermodal unit from its original hub to a temporary stopping point. Shuttle drayage is usually done if the original hub is filled up.
- Intra-carrier drayage. It is the transportation of goods within one company. The transportation is completed between two locations owned by the same carrier.
- Pier drayage. It is the transportation to and from a port. It is usually used for bringing containers from a manufacturing site or rail yard to a dock or pier in a port.
- Door-to-door drayage. It is the transportation of goods from the manufacturer to the final destination using railways and roadways. Door-to-door drayage is also called retail drayage.
All Points Transport – Reliable and Convenient Drayage Solution in South Carolina
Are you searching for a reliable and trustworthy local transportation company specializing in drayage? Then, All Points Transport is who you need to contact. We offer first-time delivery and drayage services throughout South Carolina and surrounding areas. We have years of experience and are familiar with all the shipping routes, local destinations, ports, and districts, making us the leading transportation company in South Carolina. Our experienced and knowledgeable staff is ready to provide you with reliable, safe, and cost-effective transportation services. If you want to know more, please visit our website, email us, or give us a call.
Categorised in: Drayage Service